Chemical Maintenance of Your Newly Filled Spa
- While the spa is filling, add 2 oz/250 gal of PROTECT PLUS to the water. After spa is filled, start up the equipment and let this circulate for approximately 2 hours before adding any additional chemicals. OPTIONAL: Add entire bottle of PERFECT pH to water at this time and circulate for several hours. This is a nice option in that it automatically adjusts your pH for you for 3-4 months until you’re ready to drain & refill. OPTIONAL: if using the NATURE2 or SPA FROG, install at this time – follow directions carefully. Bromine can NOT be used with the Nature2 but chlorine can — the Spa Frog works with either chlorine or bromine.
- Test water using either a liquid test kit or TEST STRIPS to determine pH and Total Alkalinity readings – you should not have to do this if you are using Perfect pH. pH should range between 7.2 and 7.8 and Total Alkalinty should range from 80-100 ppm.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp/250 gal of CHLORINATING GRANULAR or SODIUM DICHLOR directly in front of one of the jets to establish a bromine or chlorine reserve.
- Add BROMINE or CHLORINE TABLETS to skimmer basket or FLOATING DISPENSER or add additional Chlorinating Granular to maintain a bromine or chlorine reading of 3-5 ppm on your test kit. To ensure that you don’t “over-do”, start with 1 or 2 tablets and add more as needed.
DAILY/WEEKLY: (depending on spa usage)
- Make sure you have a sufficient sanitizer residual level at all times, especially after the spa is used as this usually causes the residual level to go down. Again, you do this by maintaining your bromine or chlorine level at 3-5 ppm. If you are using the Nature2 or Spa Frog, you will need to add SPA SHOCK or BROMA SPA on a regular basis per the label directions.
- Test pH and maintain at 7.2-7.8. Maintain Total Alkalinity at 80-100 ppm.
- Add PROTECT PLUS (1 oz /250 gal) once a week to protect spa from stains, scale & corrosion and to clarify the water.
- Shock at least once a week to destroy organic contaminants and/or combined chlorine/bromine. Use SPA SHOCK or BROMA SPA per label directions.
- Test & maintain Calcium Hardness at 200-400 ppm. If low, add CALCIUM HARDNESS UP per label directions.
- If you have a lot of foam or subs, add DEFOAMER directly to the surface.
- If you have a bathtub ring, scum line or oils, add NATURAL CLEAR at the rate of 1 oz/500 gal once a week or more
- Clean filters at least once a month with FILTER FRESH to remove scale, oils and mineral build up.
- Clean water line with a TILE CLEANER – do NOT use any household product as it tends to create foam & suds, alter
pH and add unnecessary phosphates to your water.
- Use SPA GLOSS to wax the surface while it is drained.
- Change your water every 3-6 months.